If you can’t tell, we’ve been on a bit of a summer kick the past few weeks, sharing our favorite summertime contest ideas. Today, we’re pulling together our favorite summer contest prize ideas, guaranteed to activate your customer base and drive summer sales. (You can read the rest of our summer-themed posts here, here, here, and here.)
Ready? Let’s do this!
The Number One Contest Rule
Before we start delving into potential prizing. Let’s talk about the number one prizing rule.
Any prize you choose to utilize should resonate with both your brand AND your audience. The prize has to excite your customer base and also has to “make sense” for your brand. Think of your prize as an opportunity to reinforce your brand while also exciting your customer base.
20 Summertime-approved Social Media Contest Prize Ideas
Your Standard Prizing
They call them classics for a reason. If you’re in a pinch for a contest idea, start with these standard go-tos:
1) Free Product: Why wouldn’t your biggest brand fans love some free merchandise from their favorite company?
2) Gift Cards: Any amount will get attention, but we recommend somewhere between $25 and $100. Under $25 might not be enough to catch attention. Over $100 and you might start seeing some diminishing returns (depending on your average purchase amount)
3) Beach Bum Package: Include towels, chairs, umbrellas, and everything else that goes into an epic day at the beach.
4) Active Beacher: Does your brand gravitate to a more active consumer base? Consider the following: sea kayaks, SUPs, surfboards, and other fun beach activities.
5) Laid Back Beacher: Grills, coolers, and koozies. What else would your customers want?
The Great Outdoors
6) Glamping Kit: Appeal to your outdoor enthusiasts by giving away a glamping kit that includes a nice tent, sleeping bags, and an air mattress.
7) Hiking Lover: Anything from hiking shoes and poles, to backpacks or daypacks.
8) Campsite Makeover: Take your customer’s campsite to the next level by providing an opportunity to win hammocks, nice camping chairs, lanterns, and cooking stoves.
9) Equipment: Giving away a grill is a bit on the nose for this summer season. Differentiate your brand by giving away smokers, Green Eggs, or flat tops.
10) Relax in Style: Proving a patio makeover can be just the ticket to driving record-breaking engagement over the summer months. We’re talking patio furniture, firepits, and lighting accessories.
11) Backyard Toys: Cornhole, ladder golf, Spikeball, Kan Jam. Pick your favorite and build a contest around it.
12) Game Time: Tickets to a local sports game can be a hot commodity depending on your market. Up the ante by giving away VIP seats or even offering unique experiences along with the tickets (like player meet and greets).
13) Tailgating: Tailgates aren’t only for Football season. There’s plenty of summertime tailgating fun to be had! Consider giving away coolers, pop-up tents, and other party accessories.
14) Golf Lessons and Clubs: Substitute golf for tennis if you’d like.
15) College Scholarships: Check your specific state/market laws on this one, but depending on the age of your target audience a fantastic prize could be providing one lucky winner with a college scholarship. This doesn’t have to be a large amount. Even $100 can be useful to an incoming college student.
16) Attraction Tickets: From amusement parks and waterslides to museums and national parks, for many of your customers, summertime is family vacation time. Encourage your fans to be a part of your contest by providing the opportunity for them to win tickets to an exciting attraction.
17) Travel in Style: Want to make a large impact with your customer base? Give away a large prize. RV’s, convertibles, and trucks can help to improve any customer’s summer activities. Just make sure you account for the taxes on the customer side.
18) Cruises: Family vacations don’t have to be road trips. Cruises can be an awesome summer-time prize to consider. Also, with multiple price points, origination ports, and duration, there’s bound to be a cruise that fits your specific contest needs.
Lawn & Pool Care
19) Cleaning Services: Sure, this might sound a bit boring, but no one wants to spend their summertime cleaning their lawn or their pool.
20) Equipment: Mowers, trimmers, clippers, vacuums. Give your customer’s the equipment they need to take their lawn and pool care to the next level.
Prize Selected, What Next?
Got your prize selected? Ready to launch a contest that will have your clients clamoring to enter?
Here’s what needs to happen:
- First, determine how your customers are going to enter your contest (or sweepstakes).
- Then, write up some official rules to keep everything above board (and protect your interests).
- Launch your contest and spread the word.
Remember, the more people that know about your contest, the more entries you receive. Paid promotion should be a part of any contest budget.
If you have a SocialToaster program, now’s the perfect time to activate your audience to increase awareness and participation in your program. Don’t have a SocialToaster program? No sweat, our team of experts is ready to help you launch a program in a matter of weeks. Schedule a demo today to get started or give us a call at 855.62.TOAST.